You are probably living under a rock if you haven’t heard the trend of tiny houses. A typical American house is about 2400 square feet in size, but a tiny house is somewhere between 100 to 500 square feet.
While designing your tiny house one of the most important aspects is to revamp your bathroom efficiently. This is where you can go back to the old Japanese concept of toilet sink combo. They allow you to make your bathroom eco-friendly at the same time do not compromise on the aesthetics.
The basic concept of these toilet sink combos is that the water used by the sink is then recycled and used in the toilet. For example, the water you used to clean your hands in the sink is subsequently recycled for use in the bathroom.
Here are Some of the Best Toilet Sink Combo Ideas for Your Bathroom
Mostly these come in white or off-white color, as these colors make your bathroom look spacious. But if you are in a mood to go off bear you can go for a wood clad or panel clad combo.
#1 Sink Directly above the Toilet
There are several ways in which the toilet and the sink can be connected to each other. One way is to place the sink, directly on top of the toilet tank. This allows the units to be directly connected and function as a single unit.
Although this is a great option if you have a major space crunch, it is a tad bit inconvenient to use as the sink is directly on top of the toilet, so you get into an awkward position while washing your hands.
#2 Sink Placed Adjacent to the Toilet
There are other design options available, like the one in the image above. Where the sink is placed on a wall adjacent to the toilet, since the plumbing is hidden, it gives a fabulous look to the bathroom.
#3 Vertebrae Vertical Bathroom System
If you are looking for more futuristic design, you will love the Vertebrae vertical bathroom system. This system has all of your bathroom needs in one item, including toilet, sink, shower and storage space.
This was designed by Paul Hernon, keeping in mind the needs of tiny houses as he noticed that bathroom space was decreasing in the UK housing market.
As logic guides, by stacking the amenities on top of each other you end up using the vertical space, which is usually wasted and thereby save the precious horizontal space.
There are 2 showers in this, one for kids and another one for adults. These 2 showers rotate 180 degrees, but the other components rotate complete 360 degrees around a steel column. This column contains all the piping needs required.
Since it weighs around 330 pounds, you might have to do some flooring again before installing it. The model weighs somewhere around $14000 dollars in total.
Recently I purchased a SinkPositive to test the experience myself. Since I have a small toilet under my stairway, I thought it would be a good fit there.
Our main bathroom is on the first floor, therefore the kids usually ended up using a hand sanitizer whenever they were on the ground floor, but ever since we have a sink on the ground floor so readily available they have started using it to wash their hands.
About the company
SinkPositive is manufactured in Hillsboro, North Carolina by Grey2Green. Its sinks are made in Tennessee.
The company was found by a young women entrepreneur, Deven Griffin, who aims to make toilet sink combos a must-have household item in America.
When Griffin first came across the invention she wondered why this technology isn’t already widespread. Without much ado, while she was still in school, she raised funds from her parents and Anka Sustainable Ventures Fund to start her venture.
What does the item come along with?
As different toilet tanks have different widths, the item comes with a filler panel. This simply slides under the main area and expands, as necessary, to cover the tank.
The item pretty much comes with everything you need to set it up. This includes a chrome faucet, drain pipe and supply tubing. It also has the necessary fitting to connect the tubing, draining pipe and faucet.
What are the Pros and Cons of a SinkPositive Toilet Sink Combo?
- As it recycles the water for different uses, it saves for water and money. In fact, most users have experienced a drop in their water bills.
- Most of the brands available are made in the United States, so you have a quality assurance.
- As it uses clean water for the sink and recycled water for the toilet, you don’t have to worry about the quality of the water. In fact, the soaped water used in the toilet keeps the toilet cleaner and smells better too.
- Since these combos do not use any sensors, they function without any electricity.
- It is perfect for small spaces, as they can literally fit into the smallest corners of your bathroom.
- Since the sink is in reach the likely hood of people washing their hands after using the toilet increases. According to a survey, only 1 out of every 5 people in the United States washes their hands after using a toilet.
- These are very easy to install and you can fix them up yourself with some basic DIY skills, so you end up saving a few hundred dollars on professional plumbing services.
- Fewer color choices, like I mentioned before they are mostly available only in white and off-white colors so if you have a darker bathroom design already in place, this item will look quite out of place.
- Since these are made of plastic, some users feel the experience is not as good as that of a porcelain toilet. What these users fail to understand is that this actually makes it easier to install. Furthermore, since these are made in the USA, you are assured that poor quality plastic is not used.
I hope by now you have found an interesting model for your toilet, if you still have any further questions, drop a comment below!